Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Home Is Where The Pines Are




Home is where I grew up, where I learned lessons, made memories, and where the pines grow.





The Pinelands of New Jersey, better known to the locals as The Pine Barrens is where I began. At age 42, I find I am living in my mother’s old house, the house we fondly call, “The Little House in The Big Woods” named after the popular Little House on the Prairie series of the 1970’s. And yes, I had a colonial dress with matching bonnet as every girl did in the mid 70’s resembling Holly Hobbie and her best friend Heather. Or at least I hoped.




What brought me home? That’s a good question. It’s a rather long and tiresome tale. I’ll try not to bore you with the details. Let’s just say, I am in transition right now and it was most convenient to come home. Mom isn’t here anymore. Don’t despair-She lives in a lovely one-story ranch in a town that has sidewalks, neatly paved roads, asphalt driveways and a house with a garage. Isn’t that standard living? It’s not when you come from the Pine Barrens.



So what is to love about the Pine Barrens? I found it surprising when chatting it up online for the first time that people from other states had never heard the term “Pine Barrens.”
Doesn’t everyone know about the Pine Barrens of New Jersey? Apparently not. I assumed the Pine Barrens were as popular as the Ozarks, the Appalachians, hey, maybe even the Amish. “Pineys” are an unknown people to the rest of the USA. I know, shocking, isn’t it?


So, having no children to share my knowledge with (another boring and tiresome tale) I will share it with anyone who happens to stumble upon my humble little blog. I will research the history of the Pine Barrens of Burlington County and surrounding areas of Burlington County. I will share my favorite places and my favorite things about Burlington County, and perhaps even encourage the reader to visit or even nestle into the beautiful Pine Barrens or as I call it, “home.”




All photos of our Little House in the Big Woods were taken in the 1960's. Our house was one of three houses on our dirt street and had been built by a Philadelphia policeman in the early 1950's. Our home like many in Browns Mills was used as a summer retreat and served as a half-way point to the Jersey Shore. When not "down the shore" the residents enjoyed the local lakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment