Saturday, September 11, 2010

9/11 A Moment of Silence, Light A Candle

This past year I went out with some friends and somehow 9/11 came up in conversation. One friends response went something like, "It's the past, so what? It's over." I was shocked and mortified! (and oddly, speechless!)



It is in my make up, no, not just my make up but my entire being to never forget my history, our history, Americas history. Was I cut from a diffferent form? Am I the odd one here? History is how we got to the place we are today, including the events of 9/11. Am I the only fool who gets choked up over the thought of our forefathers battling the harsh winter, breaking the ice to paddle up the Delaware River to Trenton to surprise attack the enemy troops? Americas history is what makes an American. Watch the History Channel, "America: The Story of Us." It's how we came to be. 9/11 made us who we are today.



The year after 9/11, the local radio stations and television news reported a scheduled Moment of Silence in memory of those who died because of 9/11, in honor of the brave men and women who fought to rescue and recover the victims, and in honor of the people who meticulously cleaned up Ground Zero. I was on my way home from having bloodwork done and listened closely to the radio, preparing to "Stop Everything" as they said. "Park your car and take a Moment of Silence." I pulled over into the shoulder and had my Moment of Silence as the radio waves went quiet. I prayed and I cried. I looked up to find that only one other car had pulled over, but I felt a camaraderie with just that one person.



Was a Moment of Silence really that important? I've seen footage of people in other countries who participate in a Moment of Silence and am in utter awe. Thousands upon thousands of people unified in Spirit, unified in grief, simply being quiet. Silence is the most humbling and powerful form of unity I've ever seen. Why can't we just be quiet for just one minute?



One minute.



Today marks the 9 year anniversary of 9/11. I haven't forgotten and being the sensitive one that I am, I admit, I get weepy. As suggested on Facebook, I'll be lighting a candle and setting it on my front porch at sunset to burn throughout the night. Nine years ago, when it became apparent that there were no more survivors to be rescued at Ground Zero, the media suggested burning candles on porches. I lived in a condo and burned 3 candles, a red white and a blue. When I walked my dog that night, there were candles all over the neighborhood.


Will you light a candle tonight? Will you have a Moment of Silence?

No comments:

Post a Comment