Monday, September 20, 2010

Wine in New Jersey? Valenzano Winefest 2010


My very first Winefest EVER! Sure I've visited wineries, did the tour, checked out the grapes, sniffed the barrels, got my free wine glass, but Valenzano Winefest 2010 was so much more!

I chose my friend Keith to be my wine tasting buddy of the day. We paid $12.00 entry as opposed to the $8.00 advanced ticket price because we both have a problem with commitment. (Ok, not really! But we both know that life has a way of happening and sometimes it just doesn't happen the way we expect it to:) So being the typical taking-no-chances-duo, we made our way to the tasting tables because we are also try-every-wine-in-front-of-us-people. Free glass in hands, we were off!
(Keith's looking a bit angelic here. Don't let the clouds fool you.)

We went against all the rules! Valenzano suggests tasting all the dry wines, then move into the semi-sweets, then sweets and fruit blends, then lastly the port. We tried Red, White, and Blue Sangria which is a delightfully sweet blend of red cranberries, white cranberries, and blueberries. (Very clever Valenzano;) Of course the label is in red white and blue berries and corked with an American flag designed cork, I gravitated to the bottle like any Fourth of July "baby" would! Delightfully sweet and oh so delicious and very affordable at $9.99. For every bottle of Sangria sold, $1.00 is donated Operation Troop Aid. (Better get extra!)

Dry wines aren't as bad as I thought. We decided to live by the rules and do it right. I tried the Vidal Blanc and really loved it! A great dinner wine. I also tried the semi-sweet Pinelands Blush and learned it either has to be dry or sweet-- there's no in between for me. Blueberry was very tasty, but not my absolute favorite because of a slightly tart aftertaste.
Let's just face it, I love sweet wine.

Blueberry Bubbly is a wonderful sparkling wine that made me want to buy a case for New Years Eve. The Jersey Devil Port is one of my favorites and I adore the artwork of our very own New Jersey beast on the label. I'm partial to the port when there's snow on the ground. There is a perfect wine for every occasion isn't there?




Valenzano did not forget the kids. The children's section looked very entertaining for the little ones. They had live children's music with sing-a-longs, pony rides, games, face painting and other activities by Studio Lulu. The kids seemed to have a good time.





We really enjoyed music from Gas House Gorillas. (At least we think that was them!) It seemed like perfect wine tasting tunes. We didn't hear South Southern Delta, but I liked their attire--all jazz and blues looking. They had a car show and charities for various dogs. This was truly a dog-friendly event and many people brought their dogs for the day. They offered helicopter rides of the Pine Barrens for a fee--around $50.00 a person, discounted for two and Keith said, "Nuh uh, no way." Not in the flying mood Keith? Maybe some other time.

You could even rent party tables/tents for the day and bring your own picnic and beverages (just no outside alcohol)



Food, Food, Glorious Food! Vendors everywhere! Italian, BBQ, Snacks and Fried Oreos? Keith and I decided that was a heart attack waiting to happen. I'm still curious.




"LUCY! I am not going to be the father of that cheese!" (Ricky Riccardo exclaimed in an old "I Love Lucy" when she tried to smuggle cheese and pretended it was a baby.)
Keith and I never found the cheese tasting. We learned it was at the Pavilion on the opposite side of the field and we were hot and tired. Bummer. He promised me the Diner afterwards so I wouldn't start whining.

We cooled off a couple times by visiting the vendors under a huge tent. Woodworkers, candles, body soaps and lotions, jewelry, toys, sports souvenirs, specialty foods including honey, sauces, spices, gourmet foods, painted glassware, handcrafted items, etc. We ate honey sticks--we each tried some kind of berry and it was yummy! I tried some crab red sauce and thought it was delicious. Also, I found the candle called "Fireside" for Keith to sniff. I had smelled it at another festival last year. No lie, it smells like your fireplace. Neato! but, is that a smell I want? We didn't buy it.


But, we each bought a bottle of Sangria to take home! Wise purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment