Thursday, January 26, 2012

100% Open Stage!

All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players ~Shakespeare

I get into live performances. I saw the Mummers Parade Live in Philly and got weepy with excitement. I know, ridiculous. I built the scenery for the church's Vacation Bible School with my own two hands. I got chills when my friend played Rooster in "Annie" at a community theatre. He was truly that good. My sister, Michele Rose, is a realtor who owns her own staging company. Rose-Colored Staging can turn a home from dull to exciting with some creativity. I love creativity.

I was never really into the bar scene. I prefer the term, "pub." (Very British of me.) I frequent one specific bar that is dripping with creativity. (And by frequent I mean possibly once every 2-3 months.) If I lived closer... Who knows? ...This is me and my cousin Ann. Yes, we're gorgeous...

It all started with Facebook. I met some people and they all happen to be Burlington High School Alumni. I was adopted by these fabulous party peeps and invited to their High School Reunion at Dr. Lou's Place. (Doc Lou of course, is also a Burlington High graduate and on Facebook) That's when I discovered that I kinda like this place! Obviously...

"Play It Loud You Lose the Crowd, Play It Right, They'll Stay All Night."
This is Lou Pica who owns and operates Dr. Lou's Place in Roebling, NJ. Located at 1501 Hornberger Ave, it is the only 100% Open Stage in the Delaware Valley. What I experienced is truly amazing. Recently, Doc Lou's had their 3 year Open Stage Anniversary. The place was packed and the music was by far, some of the best "starving artists" I've ever heard.
Lou was a man with a dream. He knew musicians were looking for support from other musicians, looking for a perfect venue and had a desire to build friends and family through the open stage experience. They found themselves playing their heart out at Doc Lou's. Lou has about 11 years of guitar playing under his belt and when he performed Johnny Cash's "I Walk The Line" I knew I had stumbled upon something great.

True Confession: I thought the harmonica player was some kid I babysat 30 years ago. The mysterious hair-in-his-eyes horn player was hiding out playing the keyboards in between horning. (I made that word up) A man who screamed on key with a tambourine, and a drummer who I learned "really is as good as I think he is" and the bluesy lap guitar player had us mesmerized. We were truly living the Dr. Lou experience right up front in our favorite booth. I'm sure we were on Dr. Lou's Live Stream. The guys totally rocked it!

Topped off with wings and drinks and a lot of laughing, you know I'll be back for more. Yes, I'm a hot mess, but at least I'm hot...and a mess.

Don't forget Taco Tuesday! It's on my Bucket List after all! (So what if I have low aspirations?)

Classic rock, southern rock, blues-type rock, oldies, whatever is played, I'm having a blast at Dr. Lou's Place! I don't know all the artists names, the band names, or details, but this much I know, good music, good friends, good food, and a good vibe come together at Dr. Lou's Place. Now, if I can only move closer... Good thing I know a realtor!


A little tune about Dr. Lou's Place
Dr. Lou's Place offers an ice cream window, excellent chicken wings, a great menu, and affordable drinks. He supports community events and various charities in the Burlington area.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Nice post thanks for sharing. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back.

    Thanks!

    Randy
    randydavis387@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete